A Customizable SEO Proposal Template
It’s a challenge many SEO agencies and freelancers encounter on a regular basis – finding and securing new clients. And the pitch process isn’t over once you’ve got someone showing interest, or even after your initial discovery call.
You can’t really count on a secure client relationship until you have a signed contract in hand. But before you can do that, you need an SEO proposal.
Why Do You Need an SEO Proposal?
Some people are as good as their word and a handshake is all that’s required to reach an agreement. But there are also people out there who will take advantage of your hard work and then ghost you when it comes time to pay.
To protect yourself and your business, you need an agreed-upon scope of work detailing what you’ll be doing, your delivery timelines and establishing compensation that is signed by both you and your client.
You could turn to an attorney to draft up this agreement for every client on an ad hoc basis, but that can quickly become expensive. If you don’t want to go this route, you can use a customizable, fill-in-the-blanks proposal template like the one below.
Note: We are not lawyers and this is not a substitute for legal advice. It is still a good idea to have a legal professional review your contract before sending it out.
A good faith contract provides a layer of protection, but someone who really doesn’t want to pay may find ways to punch holes in the agreement and weasel out of their responsibilities. A legal expert will be able to minimize the chances of this occurring.
How to Use This SEO Proposal Template
After reaching out to a prospective client and reaching a tentative agreement, use the template provided here as a starting point for creating your proposal document.
Fill in the blanks with the relevant information including your company name, the client’s name and contact information, the work to be performed, delivery dates for benchmarks and payment terms.
Once you have customized it, send it to the prospect for review. If revisions are required, change the proposal to account for them. After you have reached an agreement, you and the client should both sign the document, with each of you keeping a copy for your records.
SEO Proposal Template (may consider having this gated behind a form requiring email signup)
Summary of Services
[Your company name] hereby agrees to provide search engine optimization (SEO) services for [client company name] with the goal of improving rankings in search engine results pages (SERPs) and increase organic traffic.
To achieve this, we will:
Note: These should be customized to detail the work you will perform. Outline as many points as necessary and be as specific as possible. You can set specific goals but be careful not to phrase it as a guarantee. Instead of saying “We will increase organic traffic by 120%” use phrasing like “with the goal of increasing organic traffic by 120%.
- Thoroughly audit your website to identify shortcomings and opportunities with current content and structure.
- Perform thorough keyword research and create content around them in the form of blog posts and landing pages.
- Update meta tags and descriptions.
- Leverage our network of contacts with the goal of establishing backlinks that will improve your site’s authority and drive traffic.
TERMS OF AGREEMENT
This agreement is made between [client company name], an [LLC, S-corporation, etc.] (hereinafter “Client” or “the Client”) and [your company name], an [LLC, S-corporation, etc.] (hereinafter “Company” or “the Company.”)
PRICING, FEES, AND CONTRACT LENGTH
Client agrees to retain Company for the SEO services described above. The price for these services is [$XX,XXX] per [term], with each payment to be paid on [payment terms, e.g., “within the first 15 days of a new quarter”].
Either party may terminate this agreement at any time by providing advance written notice 30 days prior. In the event of such termination, the Client shall be obligated to pay a pro-rated fee for that month.
This agreement shall take effect once signed by both parties, and shall remain in effect until terminated.
Client acknowledges and agrees to the following:
- Company is an independently established business, and will be an independent contractor, and not an employee, of the Client. As such, Company will be free from direction and control over the means and manner of providing its services to the Client, subject only to the right of the Client to specify the desired results. The Client will not withhold any taxes from any payments made to Company.
- Due to changes in algorithms, web search behaviors, competition, and other factors, Company cannot guarantee specific keyword rankings, a specific level of revenue, traffic or other results to arise from these marketing services or the timeframe in which the results should be expected.
- Sensitive Client information provided to or collected by Company is confidential, including traffic and subscriber numbers, revenue, target keywords, and strategic initiatives, unless otherwise agreed.
- Company is not responsible for changes made to the Client’s website by other parties that adversely affect the search engine rankings, traffic, revenue, or other performance.
- LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. Notwithstanding any provision to the contrary, the total liability of Company, and its owners, employees and contractors, for all losses, damages, costs, and expenses, including attorneys’ fees, shall not exceed the aggregate amount paid to Company under this agreement, regardless of the legal theory under which such liability is imposed.
- If any provision herein described held to be invalid, illegal or unenforceable, the remaining portions of this agreement shall remain in full force and effect and construed so as to best effectuate the original intent and purpose of this Agreement.
- This agreement shall by governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of [state in which your business is registered} without giving effect to any conflict-of-law principle that would result in the laws of any other jurisdiction governing this agreement. Any dispute, controversy or claim arising out of the subject matter of this agreement will be settled by arbitration before a single arbitrator in [state specified]. If the parties agree on an arbitrator, the arbitration will be held before the arbitrator selected by the parties. If the parties do not agree on an arbitrator, each party will designate an arbitrator and the arbitration will be held before a third arbitrator selected by the designated arbitrators.
- This agreement is the entire agreement between the parties with respect to the subject matter hereof, and will be in effect immediately following its acceptance by both parties.
- This agreement may be signed in counterparts. An e-signature, email, or fax transmission of the signature page will be considered an original.
I hereby agree to the Terms of Agreement set forth here.
Client Authorized Representative Signature and Date
Client Authorized Printed Name and Title
Company Authorized Representative Signature and Date
Company Authorized Printed Name and Title